Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Advice to a New Lawyer on their first day

I wrote this to a friend of mine who was about to start her first lawyer job. Looking back, I think that this is the advice I would give anyone about to begin life as a newbie attorney. Or, if nothing else, I wish someone had told me this before I started my first job.
Today’s your first day.

I am venturing a guess that you may be suffering from a touch of anxiety. If you say no, I’m just going to think that you are lying…I’ve been where you are standing.

Knowing the process you’ve gone through to get to where you are about to go, anxiety in any form is totally understandable. You can’t always play it safe, in other words, you have to take a leap without knowing what may be beneath you. Now it’s time to take that first step into this, the unknown fray.

You are walking into a situation where you have an excellent pedigree. Every journey you’ve taken in the past has led to this first foray into the professional world. Put it another way: you’ve been educated, you’ve trained and now, you are ready.

Here is my advice to you, the new attorney, on your first day: Take risks. Ask questions. Do not fear being wrong. Let the fear of failure motivate you to greatness. Be headstrong but do not be stupid. Don’t judge your position with any of your friends or colleagues, only you can determine whether or not you are in the right situation.

As you look at the list of suggestions I have made above, you will likely see what you’ve heard from the countless number of voices that you have sought counsel from. Now, I hope to impart on you something unique.

You are about to be on the bottom of the professional food chain. It’s likely that in this illustrious position, when you make a mistake, you hear about it as if you have just committed a mortal sin. Finding positives in a career choice can be daunting when this is what you are faced with day in and day out. This advice is simple: find something that you do in your job that sets you apart from everyone else and treasure it. Live in this moment when you know you are on the absolute top of your form. Finally, do everything you can to get back to this place as often as possible.

This is what keeps me coming back day in and day out. This is what makes me know I want to be a lawyer.

There are going to be long stressful days ahead. As the new attorney, the one who doesn’t know the ins and outs, you will likely face mountains of adversity. I have complete faith that you will successfully confront whatever comes your way.

You are going to be great.

15 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

That was really good. And applicable not just to law, but in IT where I started.

It wasn't easy, but the other thing I'd add in there is:

"Censor your words and keep your mouth shut because one day, and that day will come.. you will be tired, cranky and hungry, and you will forcibly jam your foot in your mouth with a partner in the room."

Unknown said...

I think this piece of advice is very beneficial for the beginners!
Lawyer Advice

Unknown said...

Your tips are really help for a new starter.


Personal Injury Houston

Anonymous said...

If you had some way of rating posts I would for sure give you a high rating my friend!Auto Accident Attorney Houston

Unknown said...

I appreciate your idea here. Definitely it has a good content. Thank you for imparting more of your own thoughts. Good job!
Stubby holders

Anonymous said...

Great post! you have some brilliant contents!

bottle opener keyrings

Unknown said...

I think one of the basic thing you should keep in mind is that face situation with great confidence.
family law firms Sydney

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great advice. I've been trying to find a good attorney to watch my back for the longest time now. For some reason I just can't find anyone that's willing to help me with my case. Do you guys know where I could go to get a good attorney?
http://www.attorneyinjury.com/

Unknown said...

I like the tip of asking questions. Especially when you are just starting at your first job as a lawyer. Most people are going to be willing to help you because they were in your shoes at one point in time too. How many years of schooling do you have to do before you can become a lawyer? http://www.dwlaw.ca/OurLawyers/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Unknown said...

I agree that it's important to stay positive in your profession. This can make long hard days easier and more bearable. Not only that, but your coworkers will notice your positivity and feed off it. This really is something that most people need to understand and try. http://www.chamberlains.com.au

Unknown said...

Like you say in the title "wish I would have known" these things on my first day. They would have helped me out a lot. Like you suggest I am going to start asking a lot more question. Even if I am wrong, I am still learning. And that is what I am all about. Is learning and growing as an attorney. http://www.cleveland-criminal-defense.com/services/federal-crimes/

Unknown said...

I am very thankful to our lawyers because when the time that I needed their help they help me with my case and win it.
Dui lawyer Loudoun County

historypak said...

Please share more like that. Bair hugger infection

Unknown said...

I highly recommend this Family law germany . If it wasn't for her and her associates, I would have never had all the evidence I would have needed at trial. Her team is highly organized and a fighter. They are strong, and knows how to hold them own in a courtroom with all the judges

James harper said...

I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. https://www.gpwlaw-mi.com/new-york-mesothelioma-lawyer/