Saturday, September 09, 2006

Grumble, Grumble...

On behalf of the contributors on this blog, I sincerely apologize for the lack of posting lately.

Not sure what aLs and Namby are up to (well, Namby's a 3L who I'm sure is experiencing the senior slide and aLs has obviously been busy mastering Microsoft Paint), and I'll admit that I don't even have a terribly fantastic excuse. Instead of blogging I've been running around like a chicken with my head chopped off as I try to deal with OCI*, these terrible things called cite checks that apparently are the "prestigous" part of law review, student government stuff, working, and, oh yeah - thats right - those things called classes that apparently I'm supposed to be attending.

Anyway, I'm not here to complain (because there is never any reason to bitch about law school - sigh) but rather to say "stay tuned." If I survive these next two weeks, then I promise I'll give the lowdown on the 1L Job Search, what to look forward to with OCI, and explain the so-called glamour of law review.

In the meantime, it's time for WishIWouldHaveKnown (WIWHK) to attempt its first interactive post. I'm not the only one around here that should be complaining; now that you are all a few weeks into school what do you absolutely hate or are you absolutely fed up with? Come on, bitch away -- it is good therapy.



*On campus interviewing for those of you who haven't asked why all of the 2Ls and 3Ls are running around in suits every day.

6 comments:

11231 said...

Hey, do what you gotta do! No pressure. After all, what use would your advises be if you didn't make grade or LR or got the J.O.B., huh?

Anyway, I'm in my 2nd term of LS. Technically, I consider myself still in the 1st term until I get my grades from last semester back.

Things I don't like this time around:
-All my classes are packed! I mean, every seat taken full.
-they combined 2 sections together. I'm used to familiarity.
-My financial aid is going to kick in till I get all my grades back (which could take another 2-3 weeks). You told us not to work, but you are gonna change rules one month before the term ends to tell us .."oh you need to take care of your financial needs until ALL grades kick in". Jackasses, I tell you.
-I think I have one prof who is going to be a problem
-friday class. enough said.

Things I love:
-I got my preffered seats (as in..TOP row..so I can surf to my heart's content)
-all my favorite people are in my sections (esp. that cutie)

eh..that's all I have right now.

Bethannknowseverything said...

Hmm, as a 2L, a few things that really torque my ass are:

~People who tried really hard to get on law review now bitching and trying to quit in front of people (like me) who did not get onto a law review.

~People with full scholarships to law school bitching about how they "need" that high-paying job that their grades were not high enough to get them and walking into every interview with an "it's not fair" mentality and then bitching about how they didn't get a call-back.

~This feeling of pressure to have your entire life figured out right NOW. It's like if you don't know where you want to live and what you want to practice RIGHT NOW you're totally screwed so take a little more no-doz and keep sending in resume after resume to firms you've never heard of in the vain hope someone will like you enough to pay you over the summer.

~Moot Court. Go ahead, send out nastygrams when people are an hour or two late getting in their "applications" (you take everyone anyway, what crawled up your butt and died?) and then be two DAYS late giving us the problem, and don't move any other deadlines back. Fuck you very much too!

~Lastly, OCI. Not the interview process as much as the goddamn piece of rotted monkey CRAP software CSO makes us use. It's supposed to be soooo easy. HAH! It's a pain in the ass and it crashes more times than your blind grandmother driving an 18-wheeler. I have interviews I'm waiting to hear back for that are THIS WEEK and I have no idea. Hello people, scheduling!


Here are some good things though:
~NO class on Fridays.
~I got to pick, and thus actually enjoy, my classes.
~WAY less time in class.
~I set my own schedule.
~As much as OCI sucks, at least I'm getting interviews...which also means I get to buy new suits!

Ok, that's enough. (Also, just fyi, my username is a joke and I am not Bethann, nor do I, or she, know everything)

~Kristina

The Namby Pamby said...

im here...i can chime in if the moderator would be so inclined to grant me the honor

Anonymous Law Student said...

I am indeed the master of paint. I've got an idea for a post here soon. I've just been so busy...and so poor.

Calculating Bitch said...

Thanks for chiming in Maybe and Kristina. Good to hear the positive things, as well.

As for you, Namby, chime away. How about you start by telling me that OCI is just yet another exercise in jumping through hoops and that no matter what the outcome of OCI I'll still be employed by the time next summer rolls around. :-)

Okay, I'm really not that bitter, just incredibly busy lately. So busy, in fact, that I ended up spending over 12 hours at school on my birthday. The joys of being a 2L! Tell me that by the time 3L rolls around, skipping class will not lead toward a heavy conscience or a even missing anything remotely relevant...

Please give me something to look foward to? I'm definitely not the one to be leading the motivation parade right now.

BTW, aLs, I'm not hating on the mad Paint skillz. You suppose there is anyway we could integrate those talents into a post here?

Lawmommy said...

FOUND COUPLE MORE 1L BLOGS FOR YOU

slacker and slacker LLP
schooled
who owns the fox?
useless dicta